BACK PAIN CAUSESBecause we use our backs for so much, every activity you perform can put undue stress on your back. As the central support system for most of your body's weight, your back can undergo plenty of strain even during simple, everyday activities such as lifting or jogging. Back pain can therefore come from a wide variety of sources, such as:
- Repetitive motion stress from regular physical activity
- Prolonged periods of inactivity, especially from sitting in chairs with poor back support for more than an hour at a time
- Lifting heavy objects improperly
- Exercising without warming up properly
- Over-extension of muscles during exercise
- Impact injuries
Back pain causes may be as simple as muscle stress, but pain may also be a sign of spinal problems. Be sure to ask a doctor if you think you may have injured your back.
BACK PAIN SYMPTOMS
Depending on the cause, back pain symptoms may be immediately obvious or more subtle, manifesting as anything from sharp pain to a dull ache throughout your day. You may find yourself avoiding certain activities that cause you pain, or pausing often in your routine to try to stretch when your muscles become stiff. An overstressed back may simply get sore more easily, but a pulled muscle in the back can make it difficult to walk or even move normally at all. If you have injured your back, you may experience:
- Constant aches or stiffness
- Sharp, sudden pains
- Discomfort and restlessness, or regularly needing to shift position
- Difficulty walking or bending over
Many back pain symptoms are related to your muscles, and doing regular strengthening exercises can help. Check with your doctor to determine the source of any back pain immediately.
BACK PAIN TREATMENT
Back pain treatments can range from massage to surgery, depending on the severity and underlying cause. However, before you decide to have surgery or take medications, you might consider some physical therapy techniques. Exercise, including stretching and strengthening of the muscles along the posterior chain (calves, glutes, hamstrings and back) has been shown to benefit many back pain sufferers by restoring muscle balance, strength, and flexibility.
SHORT TERM RELIEF
- Tuli's Gaitors – Tuli’s Gaitors® offer shock absorption that allow the back more comfort. With a cushioned heel and the most comfort from toe to heel, Gaitors provide the relief you need to participate in your everyday activities. This product is light-weight ultra-thin carbon fiber orthotic encourages proper gait and alignment. It promotes proper posture to limit back pain.
LONG TERM RELIEF
- ProStretch Plus – An effective stretch that can help heal, as well as prevent, conditions such as shin splints. Calf, Achilles tendon, and plantar fascia flexibility are critical to shin splint healing. It is proven effective to provide a deep, gradual stretch that increases flexibility. The ProStretch Plus is biomechanically engineered to enable a controlled and targeted stretch. This product is preferred by athletes, trainers, and physical therapists for over 20 years.
- CoreStretch- CoreStretch™ offers the most effective stretch of the lower back. Available for use in a physical therapist’s office, or for use at home, this delivers immediate relief for lower back pain as well as the steretches needed for healing.