PREVENTING AND TREATING CALF STRAIN
Your calf plays a pivotal role in maintaining the health of the interconnective chain of muscles, tendons, and ligaments in your leg. Maintaining flexibility in your calf is a critical element to avoiding other painful ailments such as plantar fasciitis, Achilles tendonitis, tight hamstrings, and even hip and back pain. As with all injuries, prevention is your best defense. Prevention options for calf strain include:
- Calf Stretching- Stretching properly, starting slowly, and increasing gradually will be critical if you want to avoid calf strain. To help maintain flexibility in the ankle joint, begin each day with a series of stretches and be certain to stretch prior to, and after, any exercise or excessive physical activity.
- Interconnective Chain Stretching & Strengthening- While maintaining calf flexibility is the key to avoiding other leg injuries, a stretching and strengthening routine that strengthens the entire chain, from your lower back to your feet, will assist in retraining the neuromuscular system to perform more efficiently and effectively enabling you to avoid common injuries.
- Orthotics and Heel Support- Bio-mechanically engineered inserts and heel cups can be placed in your shoes to correct misalignments or bolster the support of your foot and are available without a prescription. The temporary heel padding that these provide reduces the length that the Achilles tendon stretches each time you step, making it more comfortable to go about your daily routine.
- Proper Footwear- Low-heeled shoes with good arch support and shock absorption are best for the health of your foot. Look into heel wedges and other shoe inserts to make sure that your everyday foot mechanics are operating under ideal conditions.
- Zeropoint Compression Calf Sleeve - This offers great support and calf pain relief during recovery by improving circulation and maintaining body warmth
LONG TERM HEALING
Stretch & Strengthen
- ProStretch Plus™- ProStretch has been proven to provide a deep stretch that increases flexibility along the entire interconnective chain, delivering the long-term flexibility needed to prevent pain and calf strain. This product has been preferred by athletes, trainers, and physical therapists for over 20 years.
- RangeRoller TM Pro-This firm massage tool gives a deep, targeted massage for added relief from calf pain. RangeRoller’s exclusive Trigger TreadsTM allow for a deep massage of both outer and inner layers of muscle and connective tissue.