Plantar fasciitis is caused by straining the ligament that supports the arch. This strain can lead to pain and swelling that causes your heel or the bottom of your foot to hurt when you stand or walk. Common risk factors typically associated with plantar fasciitis causes include:
- Gender – Plantar fasciitis more commonly occurs in women than in men.
- Age – Plantar fasciitis commonly occurs in individuals who are between 40 and 60 years old.
- Physical Activity – Running, ballet, dance, and other activities that put a lot of stress on the heel can cause plantar fasciitis.
- Mechanics– Individuals with a very flat arch, those with high arches, or those who overpronate are at risk for plantar fasciitis.
- Obesity – Extra body weight is another common cause of plantar fasciitis due to the stress that the weight puts on the heel of the foot.
- Shoes – Wearing shoes that do not provide adequate support or shock absorption can weaken your plantar fascia.
PLANTAR FASCIITIS SYMPTOMS
The following are some common plantar fasciitis symptoms:
- Intense pain upon impact of the first steps taken in the morning
- A stabbing pain in the heel.
- Pain in the plantar fascia that begins dull and gets worse over time.
- Plantar fascia pain that typically affects only one foot, though it is possible that it can occur in both.
- Pain that intensifies after standing for long periods of time.
PLANTAR FASCIITIS TREATMENT
Maintaining good flexibility throughout the inter-connective chain of the lower leg including the ankle, Achilles tendon, and calf muscles is the best way to prevent plantar fasciitis, but it’s also part of a solid plantar fasciitis treatment plan.
88% of those whose plantar fasciitis treatment combined both cushioning of the heel or arch support with deep stretching of the calf and plantar fascia experienced relief from their plantar fasciitis pain.
- Tuli’s® 3/4 Gaitors – Gaitors provide the user with superior arch support and shock absorption in order to experience pain relief. Light-weight ultra-thin carbon fiber orthotic delivers shock absorption and superior arch support. Reduces stress on the plantar fascia by absorbing shock from heel strikes. Relieves pain by delivering superior arch support that won’t crowd your shoes and can be worn in all shoes.
- Tuli’s® Heavy Duty Heel Cups – Heavy Duty Heel Cups can be worn in athletic shoes, making them the perfect solution for plantar fasciitis during workouts. They offer protection and shock absorption with every step. These are podiatrist developed heel cups and provide relief by cradling and cushioning the heel bone. They absorb shock and return impact energy just like the system naturally found in your feet.
LONG TERM HEALING
Stretch & Strengthen
- ProStretch Plus™ – The ProStretch Plus increases flexibility and range of motion in the plantar fascia with a deep, pain-relieving stretch. ProStretch Plus has been proven to provide a deep stretch that increases flexibility along the entire inter-connective chain, delivering the long-term flexibility needed for a lasting plantar fasciitis treatment.